Tuesday, April 23, 2013

AleJet Switches Off His Engines, "I Stop Here"

Alessandro Petacchi had decided to retire effective immediately.

In his words, “Paris-Roubaix closed an early part of the season in which I raced a lot, trying to be protagonist in Milano-Sanremo and Paris-Roubaix. I approached all of these races in the whole professional way, driven by the enthusiasm of Galbusera family and our new team sponsors. I gave my best, as I always have in my18 seasons as a professional cyclist. My career has been full of satisfaction and enriched by the most important victories that a rider like me could ever aimedfor. At the threshold of the 200 victories in my career, I feel my life reaches a turning point in which I perceive the need to find a new dimension and to have more time to dedicate to my family.

I want to say goodbye to all the cycling fans, considering that maybe there will be the chance to come back some day to be part on the world that gave me so much, offering my experience to the new cycling generations. "

A sprinter, Petacchi won 51 grand tour stages with wins of the points jersey in the Giro d'Italia in 2004, the Vuelta a España in 2005 and the Tour de France in 2010. In the classics he won Milan – San Remo in 2005 and Paris–Tours in 2007.

Photo: Team Lampre-Merida

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN or receive an email when new content is added using the "Follow by Email" button on the right side column.

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are now more than 2,700 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.



No comments:

Post a Comment